It’s important to learn from the success and failure of others so you can grow and move forward in your business while minimizing the mistakes you make. Over the years, we’ve interviewed many successful business owners from different cities, backgrounds, and job types to see if we would pinpoint the thing that makes them successful.
Our friend James told us about his tree service that he expanded from a one-man operation to a state-wide company doing over $1M in sales each year.
Aaron Smaskler of Aaron’s Auto Parts explained how he transitioned into running his store after his father gifted it to him in his will. He also described how he doubled the company’s sales over the course of just 1 year.
There are many inspiring stories like this to be told, but you need to know the right questions to ask.
Below are the interview questions we recommend using if you want to learn from success of different business owners and how they do what they do.
- First, I’d like to learn about your background – any previous related work or education.
- Tell me a little bit about how you got started
- What was it that made you want to start this business?
- What was the toughest thing you went through when opening?
- What is your role in the business now?
- What does a typical day look like for you?
- How do you get the word out for your business / what type of marketing do you do?
- Every business has challenges – what are some of those for you?
- What role has the Internet played in your business?
- If a customer is trying to decide between your business and your competition, why should they go with you?
- If you had to start over from day 1 what would you have done differently and why?
- If you look 6 months to a year into the future where would you like your business to be?